Friday, January 23, 2009

Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L

I found the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L tilt-shift lens on craigslist for $500. It retails around $1200, so even though I didn't have a need for it, or even have an idea how to use it, I bought it. Worse case scenario, I can always flog it back on eBay.

I was pretty excited to use it and play around with its unique features. Even though I've lived in Los Angeles for 13 years now, I had no idea where to go to be able to play with it. Yeah, I know - rarely get out.

After 15 minutes of driving around in Downtown LA, I thought my safest bet was the Walt Disney Concert Hall. When I say safe, i meant "pretty safe". Its dowtown, after all.

Can't go wrong with Frank Gehry's work. First thing I wanted to try was why this is the lens of choice of architectural photographers. Unfortunately, I had no idea how to do it. I just wanted to tilt and shift, if you know what I mean. Here is the best I can come up with:
Walt Disney Concert Hall 2

I played around with it a little more to test the selective focus:
Walt Disney Concert Hall 1

Walt's Aisle

Quite fun, I must say. But unless I can learn more about architectural photography, I have no reason to hold on to the lens. I might as well sell it and and buy the new Lensbaby and pocket the rest if its just going to end up as that sort of toy. I'll take it out a couple of more times and decide. I'm still not sure if I like it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow... I just keep wanting this lens more and more... Your pics taken with it are really great! I love the last one in particular :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work!
    Anna :)

    Good luck blogging!

    ReplyDelete